Friday, November 7, 2008

What Is Up With Christians?



This is my first post on this blog. I couldn't think of a better first blog than a Stephen Colbert interview with Tony Campolo. Compolo's new book Red Letter Christians pretty much lines up with my theological perspective. Listen to his interview. It reflects my views on the Bible and the role of Christianity in the world today.

As a Christian for 25 years and a veteran of Christian ministry in local churches, inner city missions, on the streets of Chicago with youth gangs as well as with Metro Chicago Youth For Christ and Moody Bible Institute, I often found myself surrounded by conservative voices that don't really reflect what I believe Jesus teaches in the Bible. In those circles, I'm a bit of a radical. My concern for the poor and the weak and for issues more associated with liberal politicians has often put me at odds with my fellow believers.

Much of the reason for the disagreement is the dogma spread through so called 'Christian' radio. Somewhere along the way, James Dobson and others usurped Christian radio, which was originally intended to encourage believers through songs, sermons and radio bible classes, and channeled it into a bullhorn for right wing political radicalism. The nasty repercussions of this usurping is the blending of Christian thought and right wing political thought. The only problem is that the two really have no basis for being blended. In so many obvious ways--once you think about it--right wing politics is mostly, if not completely, opposite of what Jesus taught Christians to do.

Sadly, one is more likely to hear hate speech on Christian radio than love speech. Try as I may, I cannot imagine that being Jesus's agenda.

Years ago, when I was an administrator and teacher at Moody, I learned to dispel arguments with far right wing Christian political activist by relaying my faith in the ideas of C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. For a very small book, it handles the realities of the Christian role in the world quite well. C.S. argued that the different denominations and ideological factions of Christianity were like branches spreading out on a tree. The further out on a branch you ventured, the more distant the other branches appeared. Likewise, the further up the tree you went, the more disconnected you became from those other branches.

C.S. Lewis's idea of Mere Christianity worked to resolve the apparent varied differences of Christians so as to help unify us in our role in the world. Mere Christianity was the concept that although all these far flung branches existed on this tree, the further down towards the trunk we moved, the more we found we had in common. Mere Christianity was trunk Christianity. Keeping our beliefs squarely rooted in what we all understood to be common to all Christians.

There always seemed to me to be no clearer way to understand what those "common" beliefs were than to simply look at the actual words of Jesus in the Bible. If you're an old school Christian, chances are you had at least one Bible that printed the words of Jesus in red ink. That, therefore is the idea behind Tony's book. Once you strip away the commentary of the various theologians down through the ages, you come upon the really real stuff of Christian belief.

What's most amazing about the real stuff of Christian faith is just how similar it is to the greatest teachings we have from all faiths, practices and motivational speakers today. There's not much you can find that Jesus ever said that people would rise up in protest over. At least not today.

Jesus, however, was radically opposed to the religious leaders of his day. His words cut to the very root of their power and glory. I argue that his words still do. I argue that the reason so many different denominations and divisions exist in the world today is because different religious leaders, once again, sought to gain power over God's people. To do so, they needed to move up the tree and away from mere Christianity. Out on the branches you feel more separated and vulnerable. Every strong wind that comes affects you more and challenges your perspective. In feeling threatened you feel fearful. In feeling fearful, you become more vulnerable to the control of the leader.

I don't want to take this analogy too far, so suffice it to say that greater strength and unity and clearer identity comes from dwelling closer to the trunk of the tree. I am a Christian because I believe in and follow Jesus Christ. It would seem that anyone who claims to be a Christian would submit to this definition. To submit to this definition, it might help to know what Jesus said. To know what he said, you've got to read the stuff in red. Read the red to know what he said. But...

Don't just read the red to know what he said, read the red to know what he didn't say. I find the vast amount of issues that Jesus never addressed staggering. Especially considering that the vast number of things so much of the modern (particularly evangelical) church focuses on is never mentioned by Jesus. Did God not know these issues existed? Did he not know they would? He seemed so prescient about so many things that I hardly think he was in the dark. He didn't say anything because it wasn't important to him.

Let me share where this first hit me. In the school I attended and in many evangelical churches today, drinking wine or any alcohol was and is forbidden. Not just frowned upon--forbidden. Wine? Yes, wine. But doesn't the holy sacrament of communion involve drinking wine? Yes. So what do they do? They drink grape juice. Doesn't that violate the command of Jesus? Well, it says "cup" but we know there was wine in the cup. On top of that his first miracle was turning water into wine--so we know Jesus drank wine and approved of the drinking of wine. But apparently someones teaching is more important than Jesus's. In fact, that someone, because they abstain from all wine and view the drinking of wine as wrong or sinful, is therefore, by their own theology, holier than Jesus who regularly drank wine.

I call such people Hyperchristians. And they give people like me hypertension. The absolute ridiculousness of that ideology is completely non-apparent to them. But it is very evident of what we see in our world today. Our basic Christian beliefs have been so compromised that we actually preach hate now. We teach fear, isolation and money-grubbing from the pulpit. We parade our earthly goods as if we believed earth (not heaven) was our home. We judge others by how much they have or don't have. We elect warmongers. We completely ignore what Jesus taught while we fight for causes Jesus stood against--or at the very least was silent about. Christianity has become an assessory.

I don't know where this blog will lead, or if it will lead anywhere. But I feel I need a place to let this out. This blog is called N2-the-deep because it's not easy stuff to fathom. I hope you'll take this as an invitation to interact with me--sharing your views and comments. I look forward to hearing you--whether you call yourself a Christian or not. Either way, thanks for dropping by.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photo & I whole heartedly agree the world would be a better place if Christians focused more on the true message of Christ instead of vain, self serving, fear based interpretations. This speculation disguised as authoritative truth only serves to divide & frustrate people. In fact, focusing on issues in which Jesus was silent alienates & pushes people away from the gospel instead of pointing them to Christ. Why don't more Christians show love & compassion & trust God to be God instead of policing peoples behavior & trying to control outcomes that are not in our sphere of control? Self righteousness cloaked in ignorance & pride then paraded as spiritual is only pretty to those putting on the show. Sure it draws attention, but Christ is not glorified because He cannot even be seen. I'm so glad to see more democratic Christians speaking out. Thanks for posting the message.

Unknown said...

Fabulous, Tom! I really appreciate your tree analogy. I am so grateful that "perfect love casts out fear," because that fear makes us so very fragile and unloving toward self and others, as well as painfully distant from God. That kind of fear and disconnection are, I believe, at the root of a lot of the issues I see in my counseling clients.

I have found a lot more resonance in mainline denomination churches in this chapter of my life. It's funny, when I was a Moody student, I distinctly remember an Evangelical disdain for mainline churches, (except those precious few "sanctified' ones. ;~>) I was led to believe that people who attend mainline denoms were just going through the motions and weren't even necessarily "saved" because the Gospel was not preached in Evangelically sanctioned ways. And let's not even get into those lectures we both attended where Catholicism was suspected of being a "Cult!!" What a *wonderful* demonstration of "love your neighbor." The parallels between what we were taught and the way of the Pharisees strikes me as both very stark and very, very sad.

As a grad student at a Jesuit institution, (Loyola College in MD,) in a program where a large percentage of my classmates were vowed Catholic clergy, (Pastoral Counseling,) I became enthralled with the prevalent attitude that we are to be God's hands and heart in the community. What an amazing privilege! And what a sacred space it is between two human beings when you come humbly and invite God into the middle, not presupposing God's contributions or will in the situation. I feel as if I've finally come home. I am gratefully building my life, my family and my ministry around those kinds of exchanges.

I know that my theology is destined to be very wrong in several places because I'm human and limited. I further know that I have NO clue where exactly I'm off. I decided many years ago that since I'm going to err anyway, I might as well err on the side of love. That stance has led me to an exceedingly abundant life. In spite of my rigorous training at MBI, I have no confidence that I will "rightly divide the Word of God." But I know beyond knowing that my life is replete with miracle moments when God's Spirit has moved between myself and others in ways that have radically changed us, making His face, His touch, His love and His abiding presence unmistakable. Take your shoes off. This is holy ground. I'll take that over a "right" theology any day of the week.

I've so glad to have reconnected with you, Tom. I appreciate your perspectives, and the way you share them. I will be sending this link to a number of people who will appreciate your words as well. May you and yours continue to flourish.

Julie said...

These are good words. I hope they make every Christian stop and think. They certainly did me. I agree that we too often have followed blindly into political ideologies, being spoon-fed what to think and what to believe. As Derek Webb so perfectly put it, "Don't teach me about government and politics. Just tell me who to vote for." I'm afraid that this is what has become of the American church, divided and waging war on idealogies that will never change until there is a heart change first. I would, however, like to offer a couple of counterpoints for you to ponder. I apologize in advance for the length.

For me, politics comes down to one issue: is government the problem or is government the solution? With that simple question, we can easily divide ourselves into myriad categories. Based on history and my having worked deeply with the government on many work projects, I choose to believe firmly that it is no solution. Where is the church's role if government takes care of all of society's ills? If a single mom can't pay her electricity bill, it should be the church, not the government, that steps in to help. Yes, the church needs to step up and yes, the church falls down. But as a fellow critic of “Christian culture”, you’ve painted conservative christians with a very broad brush.

I did not vote for Obama, but neither do I consider myself a red-letter Christian, and I have not demonized those that did vote for him. I believe that as an American citizen our country works best with the government out of my hair. As a citizen of Christ’s Kingdom, I believe that I am to take over what the government cannot do: show Christ’s mercy and forgiveness through service to the poor, bridging divides with humility and grace. The government can’t show Christ’s love, which is exactly why God has mandated Christians and not the state to get down on our hands and knees and do the dirty work. Because if the government does it all (and believe me, they gum everything up with bureaucracy), where are we to shine? The reason we feed the poor and fight for justice in this world is because there will come a day when we won’t have hungry children and there will be perfect justice.

I would also take slight issue with the following statement: “There is not much you can find that Jesus ever said that people would rise up in protest over. At least not today.” Have we really changed at all since Genesis 3? I would respectfully say that people who had the same hang-ups about Jesus’ message while He was walking the Earth would have the same hang-ups today, and would still want him dead. Even 2,000 years hasn’t made humanity any better or any more accepting of Christ’s radical message of forgiveness, compassion, and the narrow road to salvation. He was a rebel then, and society would consider him a rebel today.

I appreciate and respect your perspective. You have clearly walked many miles in many people’s shoes. Keep up the good words and thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Phew! Thank God someone is finally speaking out and putting this into words! Thank you for your eloquence. I'm sick and tired of all the dogma that has been attached to Christianity and has resulted in me feeling intimidated about admitting and owning my Christian identity. I've become fearful of sharing my relationship with Jesus with others because I didn't want to be viewed through that dogmatic lens.

T.R. Locke said...

I appreciate everyone's comments. Thank you.
TRL